WE’RE GOING TO DISNEY!!
At the beginning of the school year, when we saw that the kids had a long winter break, we decided to take a trip to Mexico. As fall went on, though, my cancer was not under control and I was uncertain about a trip out of the country. By December, my oncologist came right out and said no. She didn’t want me out of her reach in a foreign country. She did say I could travel within the US, where she would be able to help me, if needed. So, we decided on Disney. My kids are teens now, and it’s something I’ve always wanted to do with them. But not over winter break! So we are going in January!
It was a good choice to postpone, too. Winter break for me was mostly bed-ridden. I was very sick. My 4th line chemo was brutal. It was like having the worst flu imaginable for 5 out of every 7 days for two weeks, and then a week off to “recover”. My week off didn’t give me any relief, though, and I was beginning to realize that it was symptoms of the cancer that were effecting me, rather than side effects from the chemo. At this point, I had already booked the trip for my next week off chemo. I came close to canceling a number of times, but decided to wait for my next oncology appointment before I made any drastic decisions.
My appointment was the 2nd day of 2020. The doctor told me the current chemo wasn’t working ( which I had already suspected) and I’d be taking a break while the next line treatment goes through the insurance approval process. At that point, I asked if I could take a break until after the trip. I need to let my body recover a bit and I need to gain weight. I’ve barely been able to eat, and when I do eat, I end up super sick. I’ve lost way too much weight. She agreed. I’m still uncertain about the trip. The chemo is out of my system, but I’m still suffering a lot of symptoms from the cancer. I can’t eat, my digestive system is a mess, and I’m very weak. The trip is fast approaching, and I want to make it happen.
My doctor also referred me to a doctor at Froedert, who does a procedure that sounds very promising for me. It is called HIPEC. http://www.hipec.com HIPEC is the surgical removal of all visible tumor in the abdomen followed by a “bath” of heated chemotherapy directly to the abdomen. In medical terms this is referred to as cytoreductive surgery (CRS) and hyperthermic intra-peritoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC). So far, this surgery has been used mostly for patients with mesothelioma, pseudomyxoma peritonei and patients with peritoneal cancer from a colorectal tumor. Some hospitals also offer HIPEC treatment for other indications, such as peritoneal metastasis from gastric or ovarian cancer. My oncologist does not know if it’s been used with Metastatic Breast Cancer yet, but my mets are to my peritoneum (lining around the stomach and intestines), so I’m hopeful that I will be considered as a candidate. I am worried that there may be a fight with insurance if I’m the first MBC patient to have HIPEC done.
I have my consultation for the surgery this Wednesday. I’m very hopeful that the surgery could give me the relief that I need from the symptoms of the peritoneal mets. I will fight to have the procedure done, no matter what it takes! It sounds so promising.
WE’RE GOING TO DISNEY!!